● We've made quite a few Top 10 MMORPG videos, Best MMORPG videos, Is It Worth Playing videos, over 2017, as we enjoy doing them and giving people our opinions on the various forms of MMORPGs currently available.
As the year has progressed however, the average population in every MMORPG (with exceptions being made to games that have had recent expansions launched) have shown a constant, but predictable decline.
Over the last couple years we've seen Pay to Play and Buy to Play games go Free to Play to attempt to maintain a semblance of activity, such as TERA, Rift, Guild Wars 2, Lord of the Rings Online, EVE Online, Star Wars the Old Republic, Age of Conan, and more.
We've seen TERA and Blade and Soul merge servers, Rift decrease their server pools down to a handful of servers, even World of Warcraft implemented cross-server instancing to attempt to increase the population of long-dead servers.
● Then we have games like Revelation Online, which launched this very year to enormous anticipation, and critical failure.
Bless Online, which had its Western release canceled by Aeria Games, further having its Russian release shut down due to how incomplete the game was.
Kritika Online which launched to some popularity a few months ago, and died just as fast.
Closers Online and Soul Worker Online which are both launching with some hype around them, that will undoubtedly die just as expeditiously.
Moonlight Blade which had a recent English release announced, that although a fun game - trust me, we've played it - will end up dying on arrival.
● That is of course listing off the MMORPGs coming over from the Eastern market.
The Western market has its own fair share of MMORPGs launching as well in the near future:
● Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, Crowfall, Chronicles of Elyria, Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen, Ashes of Creation..
All names you've no doubt heard, and may or may not be looking forward to, and all of them, more or less, crowdfunded.
As in, funded by the very players that are interested in playing them. Not backed by a company - no. Companies are no longer interested in backing MMORPGs, and for good reasoning.
Nobody in this day and age wants to fund an MMORPG in the state the market is currently in. Not a chance. The only people stu-I mean, nai-Nope, not the word I was looking for.
The only people.. left, that are willing to fund new MMORPGs are the people themselves, because they - we - have an innate craving for something new and innovative. Something truly marvelous.
Something groundbreaking and different - The next great MMORPG that shifts the genre and leads us into new waters.
● Now.. This is not something that is easily done. Not at all. Something like this is, quite possibly.. just not at all within the realm of possiblity to accomplish.
People and companies are fairly set in their ways.
Gamers have just gotten so irritated and bored with copy paste, rushed, failed MMORPGs while companies have gotten equally as exasperated by peoples clear disdain for new releases in the genre.
This problem, this situation we're currently in: It is a catch-22.
Gamers don't want to try out new MMORPGs because they believe it is a waste of their time, and they're not wrong.
Companies on the other hand don't want to release new MMORPGs because people won't play them.
Gamers however want a new, groundbreaking MMORPG to launch but the people willing to actually invest time into them are so few that the games are barren wastelands in mere months, if that.
Yet again, companies are unwilling to actually offer something different - something to cater to the audience. Why? They're afraid of trying something new, and they're not incorrect in assuming gamers will act critically towards it.
● What do you think? Do you believe the MMORPG genre is dying? Do you believe the MMORPG genre is transitioning into mobile MMORPGs instead? Or do you believe next year we'll be saved with 2018's slated releases?
● Thank you for watching!
● Discord - https://discord.gg/53RugfV
● Subscribe now and support us! http://bit.ly/2d0J8pe
● Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mmobyte
● Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/MMOByte
● Official Website: http://www.mmobyte.tv/
● Twitter: https://twitter.com/MMOByte
● Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/MMOByte/
● Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MMOByteWeb/
● Twitter: https://twitter.com/ByteStix
● Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bytestix/
● Twitter: https://twitter.com/ByteWiggy
● Check out the best Anime MMORPG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VVKHn9h-hw
● Is TERA Worth Playing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYpMA4RUKeI
● Is Blade and Soul Worth Playing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwUKuop31lU
● Is Aion Worth Playing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7unsRTY_uz4
● Is Guild Wars 2 Worth Playing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoSiYK4oi54
● What Are The The Top 10 Best MMORPGs of 2017-2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YtQXV750bg